Clear aligners are custom-made transparent plastic trays that gradually shift your teeth into the desired position. Clear aligners are a removable alternative to traditional metal braces. These aligners are virtually invisible when worn, unlike the bulky metal brackets and wires of conventional braces. You’ll take your aligner out to eat, drink, brush, and floss and then replace it to continue straightening your smile over time.
The length of treatment with clear aligners varies from patient to patient, depending on the severity of their condition.
Benefits of Clear Aligners
- Straighten your smile discreetly: No need to worry about stigmas or teasing due to braces getting in the way of your day-to-day routine. You can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing about it!
- Convenient: When you want to enjoy a meal or snack, simply remove your aligner. You can also remove them for brushing and flossing to maintain good oral health during your orthodontic treatment.
- Comfortable: Unlike traditional braces, clear aligners are comfortable. There are no metal brackets or wires making contact with the inside of your mouth to cause irritation, pain, or sores. There’s no worry about food becoming stuck underneath the bracket or wire, and the smooth plastic will not cause you pain or damage your gums as traditional braces may.
How Do Clear Aligners Work?
Clear aligners work by gently moving your teeth into the desired position, and because they are removable, you can take them out to eat and clean your teeth. This is different than traditional braces that use wires or brackets to put pressure on the teeth to move them into place. With clear aligners, there are no adjustments needed as they are custom-made for your mouth’s exact measurements. Your aligners are changed out approximately every two weeks until the process is complete.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Clear Aligners?
Clear aligner therapy is a great option for both adults and teens who have moderate misalignment or gaps between their teeth. Patients that want to straighten their smile but do not want to undergo orthodontic treatment due to cost, lifestyle, or other personal reasons will find Cleat aligners to be a practical solution.
How To Take Care of Your Clear Aligners
Please note that patients should wear their clear aligners for at least 22 hours per day to experience the best results from their treatment.
At-home care is also an important part of your treatment and will help ensure your teeth and aligners remain clean and prevent bacterial build-up that can lead to gum disease. Patients should follow these tips to get the most out of their treatment and achieve a beautiful new smile!
- Wear your aligners as much as possible, at least 22 hours each day. Remove your aligners when eating and drinking anything other than water.
- Rinse your aligners with water before placing them back in your mouth after eating or drinking.
- Brush your teeth after every meal or snack, and rinse your toothbrush thoroughly before placing it back in its holder.
- Clean your aligners daily by brushing them gently with a soft-bristled brush and water. Do not use toothpaste to clean your aligners, as this will scratch the surface and cause damage over time.
- Soak your aligners in a denture cleaner or water with antibacterial properties once a week.
- Store your aligners in their case when they are not being worn to keep them clean and prevent them from becoming warped or damaged.
Please get in touch with us through online consultation or by calling us at (775) 882-0635, and we'll assist you further.